Food + sticks = happy kids. It’s a simple equation and it always works. So, be adventurous with the barbecue this summer and try these deliciously tangy Grilled Lamb Skewers. The best bit is there’s no waste.
Ah, summer. And time to fire up the barbecue. Slightly bored with the usual sausages and burgers, I decided to try something new. Food on sticks is always a hit with my kids but it turned out this meal was one the whole family loved. I used oregano and thyme for the marinade but for a touch of spice, you can also add cumin and paprika. Serve with pitta bread (have a look at our homemade version – really easy to make and miles tastier than the supermarket stuff), and light and tangy Tzatziki sauce.
- 4 lamb leg steaks (lamb shoulder also works well)
- 5 - 6 Tbp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- handful of fresh oregano (1 tsp dried) – finely chopped
- handful of fresh thyme (1 tsp dried) - finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- metal or wooden skewers
- For the marinade, combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, herbs and spices, if using, in a large bowl and season with the pepper. Don’t add the salt just yet
- Cut the lamb into bite-size chunks (about 3cm)
- Add the lamb to the marinade, cover with cling film and stick in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, overnight if possible
- When done, thread the lamb onto the skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water first to prevent burning
- Season the kebabs with the salt
- Cook on the grill, BBQ or griddle for about 8 – 10 minutes depending how “done” you like your meat.
- Serve immediately
For the best results marinade for at least 4 hours.
We’re linked to: