School fête season is well and truly upon us. If you’re looking for a crowd pleaser that takes virtually no time to prepare and is just as much of a hit with the children as it is parents, then look no further than our Luscious Lemon Drizzle Cake.
This certainly ticks the tried-and-tested box; I have made so many of these cakes over the years I could probably do it with my eyes closed. That’s less down to skill on my part and more down to the simplicity of the recipe. I use my food mixer to do all the hard work, but you can of course resort to a trusty wooden spoon.
The following recipe makes a 2lb loaf cake. I have tried making miniature loaf cakes but somehow they never seem to have the right shape to them. If you have more success than me, please post your pictures!
- 175g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g softened butter or vegetable spread
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons, strained
- 115g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl, and add all the remaining cake ingredients and beat together until smooth.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin and spoon in the mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until the cake is cooked.
- Leave the cake in its tin while you make the syrup.
- Warm the lemon juice and the sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Prick the cake all over with a skewer and pour over the syrup and allow to soak in.